At St John’s we believe history to be the study of people in the past and how their actions have affected our lives today. The past influences all aspects of our lives. It shapes the customs and beliefs of the communities to which we belong. History can help children to make sense of the world in which they live and help them develop a sense of identity.
Our aims at St John’s Primary School are that all children:
- acquire a balanced knowledge about the past
- develop an understanding of what has occurred in the past and how it influences our lives today
- develop a sense of chronology through sequencing events and objects
- develop a feeling of empathy with people in the past
- form a sense of personal identity
- acquire skills to become critical and independent thinkers
- derive enjoyment and a sense of achievement through their work.
Please click for further information: