At St John’s Primary School, we aim to provide a learning atmosphere which encourages curiosity, perseverance, open-mindedness, critical reflection and co-operation. We endeavour to provide a broad and balanced learning experience for all our pupils and, wherever possible, opportunities to develop skills and gain an understanding of science concepts through first-hand experience and practical work.
Our aims in teaching science include:
- building on children’s natural curiosity and developing a scientific approach to problems
- encouraging open-mindedness, self-criticism, perseverance and responsibility
- preparing children for life in an increasingly scientific and technological world
- fostering concern about, and appreciation of, our environment
- building children’s self-confidence to enable them to work independently and developing their social skills to work co-operatively with others
- helping children to acquire a progressive understanding of scientific ideas
- giving children the experience of scientific processes
- helping children to acquire practical science skills
- providing children with an enjoyable experience of science, so that they will develop a deep and lasting interest and be motivated to study science further
Please click below for more information about the Science curriculum.