St John’s Primary School Admissions
We welcome all applications for children to join St John’s. We encourage prospective parents to visit the school before making an application.
Please telephone the school office on 01483 476450 to make an appointment.
We also hold an Open Week for prospective Nursery and Reception parents in the Autumn Term.
- Our 2020 Admissions Policy is available here
- Our 2019 Admissions Policy is available here
- Supplementary form for the Children of Staff
Applications for 2019 admissions will open on Monday 4th November 2019. Please apply for your child’s place via the Surrey County Council website. Closing date is 15th January 2020.
The school manages admissions to all other year groups itself, and you can apply directly to the school if you would like a place. Further information including the In Year Application Form is available from Surrey County Council In Years Admissions.
Joining Our School
Whether your child is joining St. John’s Primary in Nursery or in any other year group, we want your child to settle in quickly and for both you and your child to feel part of the St John’s family.
We support you in preparing your child for Nursery, in the following ways:
- You are invited to a meeting to ensure that you have all the information you need to help your child prepare for Nursery.
- Your child will be invited to a “Stay and Play” session.
- Home visits are carried out by the nursery staff. This is an opportunity for you and your child to meet some of the Nursery team, and for us to learn more about your child.
- Phased entry in small groups to help your child settle happily.
Each half term you will receive a letter explaining what your child is experiencing in each area of learning. The school issues weekly newsletters and there is also a notice board outside the Nursery for up to date information.
The Nursery joins the school for many whole school events. This includes themed weeks, such as Book Week and Healthy Living Week. They also join the rest of the school for a special Easter service at St John’s Church and for our Sports Day and Family Picnic. Parents are invited to all of these events.
The School manages nursery admissions itself, and you can apply directly to the school if you would like a place.
Download the Nursery Application Form.
We support you in preparing your child for Reception in the following ways:
- Your child will be invited to spend part of a morning in the Reception class in the summer term before they start Reception.
- Parents are invited to attend a meeting with the class teacher and Head of School. This gives us a chance to make you aware of the school routines and for your child to visit his or her new classroom. You will be able to ask questions and will receive our ‘welcome’ pack.
- There is a phased entry into Reception. Your child will start by attending for either the morning or afternoon session. After a few days they will then stay to lunch as well. Full time attendance is usually achieved by the end of the second week.
- After a few weeks at school, our Reception teacher meets with all parents/carers on a one-to-one basis to discuss how they have settled in.
- We hold Parent Teacher meetings in the Autumn and Spring; this is an opportunity to discuss your child’s progress.
Click here for Surrey County Council Admissions
W/c 7th October 2019 is our Open Week for parents with children due to start Reception 2020. Please ring the School Office to book a tour of the school- visits are strictly by appointment only.
- Monday 7th October – 1:30pm
- Tuesday 8th October – 9:15am
- Wednesday 9th October – 1:30pm
- Thursday 10th October – 9:15am
- Friday 11th October – 1:30pm
There are also a few additional school tours available to book :
- Monday 11th November – 1:30pm
- Wednesday 13th November – 9:15am
- Tuesday 26th November – 1:30pm
- Thursday 28th November – 9:15am
Joining after Reception
It may be that your child is joining the school at a different point to Nursery or Reception. All children new to the school are given a special buddy to help them through the early days. We do encourage children to visit the school before starting, so that they can visit their new class and meet their class teacher. Parents are given an information booklet, which includes key information about our school.